Wednesday 9 June 2010

It starts here ...

So here begins the journey! I thought a good place to start was to contact the existing Friends of Roundwood Park, but I couldn't find their contact details on the web, the only lead I had was to Brent Council's website.

The council staff member I spoke to was very helpful but told me that the groups was in a state of transistion, which was unlikely to be resolved until December 2010, it turned out the person who was behind group had moved onto other things.

The council people told me there are a lot of interested, but disperate individuals that they are keen to try to bring them all together. They told me it is easier to attract grant funding when the local community are actively involved in the process, but it needs an overall vision and plan.

We have agreed to meet up, I am waiting to hear back from them for a date, a key individual is on holiday for another week, it is difficult to be patient as I am keen to get cracking.

In the meantime my mentor has advised me to try and get some of my neighbours on board, I have to admit it is this part that I find a bit intimidating, I've never been a fan of doorstepping people, but I will have to put my reservations on hold while I get this started.

Some other good advice I've received involves speaking to my local ward councillors: Cllr's Lincoln Beswick, Janice Long and Helga Gladbaum represent the area covering Roundwood Park and the Cllr James Powney is the Lead Member for Environment and Culture. As they are elected by the community to represent them they will likey hold more sway/clout when research and engagement is needed, they may be able to assist with surveying.

My instinct is to hold off getting others involved until I've met with the council to see what the position is. Then speak to the councillors to see what support they may be able to offer me.

In the meantime here are some links that have been inspiring me this week:
Roots and Shoots - http://www.rootsandshoots.org.uk/
Royal Parks - http://www.royalparks.org.uk/
Floating Farm Shop & Tearooms - http://www.grannybuttons.com/granny_buttons/2006/05/the_floating_fa.html

No comments:

Post a Comment